Questions that you may like to ask yourself when thinking of adopting a greyhound.
About You And Your Family
- Are there any children in the home? What are the ages of the children?
- Does everyone in the household want to adopt a greyhound?
- What is the activity level of your household (e.g., quiet / moderate / active)?
- What is the noise level of your household (e.g., quiet / moderate / noisy)?
- Are there any family members with special needs, medical conditions or allergies who might be affected by bringing a dog into the home?
- Will someone be able to spend most of the greyhound's first few days at home with it to help the dog adjust?
- Greyhounds can live for 12 to 15 years. Have you considered the financial implications of adopting one?
- Are you able to offer the dog a stable routine?
- Taking into consideration such things as work, shopping etc. what would be the longest period of time that the animal would be left on its own on a day to day basis?
- How would you cope with holiday periods?
- Does your family anticipate any major lifestyle changes in the next year (e.g., retirement, new baby, moving, new job, long holidays or schedule change)?
- What reasons do you consider valid for giving up a pet (e.g., barking, chewing, digging, unable to housebreak etc.)?
About You And Your Home
- What type of property do you live in? Is it suitable for a dog?
- If you rent your home, do you have permission from the landlord to have a dog living on the property?
- Does the property have a garden? Is the garden well fenced? How high is the fence?
- Where do your current pets spend their days?
- Where will the greyhound live and sleep?
- How much exercise will the dog receive everyday?
- When would you be ready to take your greyhound home?
About Your Pets and Any Other Animals
- Are there any other pets in the household?
- Have you previously owned any dogs?
- What training methods do you prefer?
- Do you appreciate the work that might be required to help the greyhound learn to live with your other animals?
About Your Preferred Greyhound
- Why would you choose to share your life with a greyhound rather than another type of dog?
- Do you have a sex preference?
- Do you have an age preference?
- What type of temperament would you prefer your dog to have (e.g., active / shy / quiet / playful / affectionate / independent / outgoing / watchdog / enthusiastic)?